Conducting a food recall
If you need to conduct a food recall, follow this quick checklist.
Checklist for conducting a food recall
- Get advice from a MPI's Food Compliance Services team by phoning 0800 00 83 33.
- Follow your recall plan. If you don't have a recall plan, read and follow the instructions in this checklist.
- Complete the recall hazard/risk analysis form and send it to MPI's Food Compliance Services team.
- Recall hazard/risk analysis form [PDF, 37 KB]
- Food recall notice template – General products [RTF, 79 KB]
- Food recall notice template – Allergen warning [RTF, 82 KB]
- Food recall notice template – Point of sale [RTF, 44 KB]
What a recall notice or advertisement needs to have
A consumer recall notice or advertisement must display the following information:
- who is recalling the product
- what the product is (name, weight, batch/expiry date)
- what's wrong with it
- a "do not consume" message
- a health warning and action (if applicable)
- where the product can be found (distribution)
- what action should be taken (for example, where it should be returned to)
- who to contact for enquiries.
A food recall notice also has a minimum size and format. See what a recall notice looks like:
All advertisements must be approved by MPI before they are published.
Read more about food recalls: